Highbury Media (Pty) Ltd is an independent magazine and digital publishing company responsible for some of the best performing titles. We are currently looking for a copy-editor intern for our Lifestyle Copy Editor Department.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Correcting factual and language errors
- Ensuring appropriate style and tone
- Ensuring all copy is reader-friendly (easy to understand and a pleasure to read)
- Localising copy where necessary
- Avoiding repetition, tautology, inconsistencies and contradictions
- Writing catchy headers, blurbs and covers lines
- Helping to maintain the editorial standard of excellence
- Editing and proofreading layouts
- Trimming copy to fit layouts
- Writing additional copy where necessary.
- Be able to communicate effectively with editors, art directors, designers and reproduction artists.
- Be proactive and self-disciplined, and work well in a team.
- Be able to work accurately and professionally under deadline pressure.
- Have a good general knowledge and be able to handle copy on a wide variety of topics.
- Be proficient in InDesign and the Mac operating system, and be able to use the internet as a research tool in a critical and informed manner.